Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Praises

I am so glad for it to be a new week. Last week was a tough one for me for a variety of reasons. It was one of those weeks where you just think…it couldn’t get much worse, but then something else would happen that completely threw me off. I think some of it was a result of spiritual warfare. Here are some exciting things that God is doing around me…

I am the coordinator for the Single’s teams at my church. We have small groups called teams where 6-12 people gather regularly. These groups bring the individuals in the church into a community for fellowship, Bible study, prayer, sharing and accountability, social events, and ministry opportunities. I have been excited to be a part of this ministry. When I came, there was a team for singles aged 35+, but it consisted of 2 single adults and a married couple that led the team. That team is currently being led by the two single adults who were a part of that team and now has eight people coming regularly. My team started in January of last year and was set up for singles aged 25-35. We had choppy growth, but then at the beginning of the year, I had a couple people come alongside to help with the ministry. Since that time, we have grown and our team recently multiplied. Our little team spawned a team of single parents, mostly divorced, who are a part of the church. Our first meeting after multiplication was on Sunday. The thing that amazes me about this whole process…we had 12-16 on an average week before multiplication. In the first week afterwards, we had 11 and 8 people attending the two teams. Where did they come from? This ministry has brought a lot of joy to my life. I am so excited to see people in a Bible Study for the first time, asking questions, and reading their Bible at home. Is all this happening because I am a great leader?? ABSOLUTELY NOT! I often feel inadequate in my place of service. Despite my weaknesses, God is working to bring people to know and love himself, I am just a willing person involved in the process.

On Sunday afternoon, I also heard about a church plant that I am praying towards joining. It would be with one of the interns at my church, who is also a student here at the seminary. After graduation, he and his wife are looking at starting an international church in the area – probably Arlington or Frisco. He was asking me about my thesis and we had a great discussion. It is exciting to find people who have the same heart as I do to reach the world through the internationals in our community. He will graduate in December and the church will be planted soon afterwards. The timing is amazing because I also finish in December. I do not know yet if this is the direction that I should go, but I am excited about the possibility and I can’t wait to see what comes next (a lot depends on when and where I find a full-time job)

Speaking of jobs…my dad accepted a job yesterday. He has been looking for a long time and yesterday accepted a position with MDOT in Missouri. It is a small department and far from the corporate world. It will be a lower paying position, but it is close to home and does not include the extra hours and stress that existed in his previous position. This is a great praise!

5 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger Tidy Bowl said...

You got your connection to work! (at least long enough to post on your blog)
Hooray!
Another reason to praise God!

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Abbey said...

Jen that is so good to hear about your dad. I'm excited for you as you decide about the church plant. I miss you and April terribly and hope to come see you soon!
Love you!

 
At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen-I was able to link to your blog through Jeff's blog. I usually don't comment, but what you shared was great. I'm so excited for you and in seeing how God has been working around and through you. Anyway, hopefully I'll see you soon.

By the way, hey Abbey. I haven't talked to you ages.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Jen M said...

Melinda- My connection is on now, it is thankfully working much better than last week.

Abbey- Do you have plans Wednesday? Why don't u come up for my bday party. Give me a call sometime.

Angela- Thanks for stopping by and commenting. When are you getting a blog? I hope to see u soon!

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger jason7655 said...

Good stuff Jen....

Abbey...you left out one of your arch-nemesis...Jason :-)

Praises are good..that's for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home