Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Tribute to the cookie maker

Yesterday, a friend pointed out to me that if I had a blog, I really should put some words on it. That has been my plan from the beginning, but in the past week since I signed up for my site, I have been kinda busy and I really didn't expect my site to be linked to two other people's sites so soon! This post is in tribute to that friend, a daily blogger who is known for his cookies and cookie cakes. (though I have never tried the latter)

So, why did I set up a blog anyway? I first heard about blogs almost five years ago. I didn't know much about them and didn't think anything of it. In the last two years, many of my friends have set up blogs. For a while, it seemed like the popular thing to do. It was partially for that reason that I didn't set one up a year ago. Who really wants to be the same as everyone? In the past month, I read a book for class called The Internet Church by Walter P. Wilson. In this book, the author looks at the Internet as a new tool to share with other people in the world about the story of Jesus Christ. He even went as far as comparing the Internet to the invention of the printing press with movable type. The printing press took the Bible from a labourously hand copied book to one that could be easily reproduced and shared. The Internet is a tool in which the Bible can be read at any time in many languages - from Chinese to Czech and Tamil to Urdu - by a person who is connected to the Internet. If you want to check out an online Bible, click here. The author also talked about using the Internet to communicate between believers in times away from the church building and fellowship. Wilson is definately a visionary and though his book is a little outdated (c 2000), so many of the things he predicted the Internet being used for are happening now.

To answer that question - Why am I doing a blog? Well, why not? I don't know that I have anything that interesting to say, but I hope by putting my words into cyberspace that God will use them to touch people who are hurting and trying to find peace.

2 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Blogger jason7655 said...

Sorry I couldn't join you all for lunch today. I think this 'cillin is helping though, even though I've only taken one.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Jen M said...

Jason - we missed you at lunch, but I hope you are feeling better today!

Maurice - Thanks for visiting! I appreciate you adding me to your site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home